About the Forest School Research Symposium
About the Symposium
Forest School is still a relatively new educational approach and it has a huge potential for change on an individual level as well as societal level. Over the years the Forest School Association has advocated and promoted Forest School, its ethos, and its six core principles. This advocacy has grown stronger with the emergence of more and more research and theory around Forest School. However, it is clear that without research and statistics this advocacy may well not be heard or acted upon.
This symposium will look at research and papers that are influenced by or lend understanding to the world of Forest School. There will be a chance to hear about new research papers, have discussions about future research in Forest School and to identify any gaps or synergies in the research.
Reasons for Developing an International Symposium for Forest School
- To establish ‘Forest School’ as a distinct area for research (with a common understanding of the 6 principles that underpin the Forest School ethos).
- To bring together an international community of researchers with interests that are relevant to Forest School.
- To offer a platform to share research.
- To identify opportunities for cross-discipline collaboration.
- To identify gaps in research areas.
- To develop opportunities for Forest School practitioner research.
- To identify resources, including funding, for Forest School research.
- To be an inception point for future Forest School research coordination and dissemination of findings.